View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
teelittleOffline
29 Post subject: KDE Help Center: fails building search index for KDE apps  PostPosted: 29.10.2010, 09:03

error1: htdig not installed (easily resolved)
error2: processing of docbook source files fails
cause: don't know - configuration issue?? missing package?? bug??

Hi, I am running a fresh CD install of aptosid 2010-02 (btw: great thing so far!).

Opening (e.g.) Konqueror's manual (which is integrated in KDE Help Center) by pressing <F1> and then entering a search term, I was asked if KDE HC should build the index needed for searching.

error1: I answered "yes" and got the message that htdig is not installed.
So I did apt-get install htdig (and also htdig-doc, but that's obviously not required).

error2: The next try to build the search index resulted in an empty index (it appears the search settings as "Applications Manuals" (German: Programmhandbücher), but it is empty and gives no results for any search term.

diagnostics: The detailed output of the "build index" window (see attachment) shows that there seem to be problems with parsing the Docbook source files to extract data for building an index.

KDEHelpCenter_BuildKDEAppsSearchIndex.log.zip
 Description:
Detailed output of KDE Help Center's "Build Search Index" window when building applications manuals index (aptosid 2010.02 + htdig installed)

Download
 Filename:  KDEHelpCenter_BuildKDEAppsSearchIndex.log.zip
 Filesize:  3.45 KB
 Downloaded:  175 Time(s)

Reply with quote Back to top
devilOffline
Post subject: RE: KDE Help Center: fails building search index for KDE app  PostPosted: 29.10.2010, 10:20

i just followed what you did: (on a rather fresh install):
KDE ghelp center - konqueror handbook.
it opens right away, no problem (htdig is not installed, no index needs building.
and this is the first time i opend help center, so no index was build in a recent session.

greetz
devil

teelittleOffline
Post subject: RE: KDE Help Center: fails building search index for KDE app  PostPosted: 01.11.2010, 10:25

Thanks for trying to verify. However, I'm afraid you did not achieve at reproducing my issue.
As you don't have htdig installed, I think you cannot do the search I was writing of:
      Quote:
$ apt-cache show khelpcenter4
[...] It can search through documentation using the 'htdig' package.

To reproduce my issue, after opening KDE help center:
    1.) enter a search term in the "Search" box (so far, the "search" button stays light grey)
    2.) check one of the available scopes for the search (in the window below) - in my case: "application manuals"
Then, after hitting the (now accessible) "search" button, you may see the same issue as described in my original post...

Jump to: