View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
jclevienOffline
Post subject: Desktop - aptosid Spanish Windows customization distro  PostPosted: 10.11.2010, 12:47

Hello,

I made two flavors of aptosid: a CD and a DVD, both kept the same desktop.

It is all translated in Spanish.

The CD is the "light" version, with minimal programs, the DVD version is the "full", which has these packages:

. LXDE with "Windows-like" feeling (buttons, bars, etc).
. SeaMonkey (not Iceape because of the Spanish translation)
. Java
. Flash
. OOffice
. Skype
. Arno's Iptables Firewall
. ClamTK
. Pinta
. and more...

As usual, LXDE aids in keeping the great speed aptosid has, while this version serves as a path to a lot of "non-linux geeks" people who don't know what a console is.

Has been a little tricky to build it (I had to even recompile the lxpanel deb package to scale the Liberation font), but I think it is a good scam for the people who don't know what Linux is.

I'll wait your comments.

/Juan.

Reply with quote Back to top
muchan
Post subject: RE: Desktop - aptosid Spanish Windows customization distro  PostPosted: 10.11.2010, 13:31

You can use your own build for yourself, but I think, you should not distribute your provate build with the name "aptosid".

Especially, when you include non-free software since aptosid project is distributed with a declaration (in the top of the first page of the aptosid.com):
      Quote:

aptosid is an operating system based on the Debian GNU/Linux unstable branch, codenamed sid, and our ISOs hold fast to the core values and the Social Contract of Debian (DSFG).

I think it goes for every remastering and even private ISO build with pyfll, when you want to
publicly distribute it, you _should_ change config so that it will have another name than "aptosid", and you distribute it with your responsability...(inluding prividing sources for GPL programs, etc.)... completely separated from "aptosid" project.

jclevienOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 10.11.2010, 15:18

I never said I am going to distribute it, and of course if I do, I'll try to put my own copyright and restrictions.

I just wanted comments on the Windows-like imitation, to improve the quality of it, in the sense that non-gurus could adapt more easily to aptosid (or Linux, whatever you want to call it, for this case is the same for me).

Taking advantage of your comment, I ask you this:

I am not a lawyer, but if you don't declare what base of OS you are using, why are you forced to give sources of what?

I think that a more convenient way is to get responsible for only what I did (software, special configurations, etc), not with what I based my distro (debian, aptosid), and I don't necessary have to give the sources, or declare them GPL, for what I did.

Thanks for your answer.

/Juan.

hubiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 10.11.2010, 15:25

jclevien wrote:
I am not a lawyer, but if you don't declare what base of OS you are using, why are you forced to give sources of what?

Each and every piece of software has a licence. E.g. if the software is licenced with GPL you have to provide the source code whenever you are asked by a person you distributed your binary solution to.

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/licenses.html

If you have a close look at the release folder of aptosid, we are providing the sources of each and every release:
http://debian.tu-bs.de/project/aptosid/release/

hubi

Jump to: