View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
siegekingOffline
22 Post subject: vga_switcheroo  PostPosted: 17.11.2010, 10:01

Hi guys and slh,

it seems to me vga_switcheroo is on now? Anyone any experiences with it? Right now there is no folder in /sys/debug on my machine, but maybe due to bios setting internal graphics only.

Greetings
siegeking

Reply with quote Back to top
devilOffline
Post subject: RE: vga_switcheroo  PostPosted: 17.11.2010, 10:45

http://linux-hybrid-graphics.blogspot.c ... linux.html has some useful links.
i dont think anyone in the team has the hardware to test this.

greetz
devil

belzeOffline
Post subject: RE: vga_switcheroo  PostPosted: 17.11.2010, 23:40

i'm not in admin team, but i do have a acer aspire 4810T with intel and ati graphics. Some time ago i tried to use vga_switcheroo and i had success. It is strong tool to use in order to reduce battery usage switching off the discrete card on my notebook at startup. It is not so powerful enough to use it do really switch between card like windows7 or OSX (i don't have a mac, but google about how it works and it looks similar to windows).
With vga_switcheroo you have to restart your X server, following the instruction at the link devil posted above you'll manage to do it, but i did not use any UI, command line is fine to me, but not very user friendly.
I heard form phoronix that someting is moving on in mainline kernel, something about ACPI calls to better handle vga switching. Anyway, in the far future we'll maybe have wayland...

siegekingOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 18.11.2010, 12:31

That's good. Just wanted to know the status of aptosid kernel. Right now I'm changing config in the bios to have discrete card for playin in Win7. Although that only happens every once in a while it bothers me to always change and then I forget...

So I'll have a try sometime. In linux I only want to use the Intel graphics. So if it works I will switch off the discrete by startup script.

Greetings
siegeking

Jump to: