View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
blackforestcoldbloodOffline
Post subject: xmms2 nyxmms2 and a question.  PostPosted: 27.11.2010, 00:40

I imagine that since most of the people that use aptosid are rather "minimalist" that they already know about xmms2 and either use it or not.

If you are in that group you might just as well skip this post except to answer the question at the end.

However, for new folks, and people who may want to go "more minimalist" even to the .... gasp! "command line"..

xmms2 is an "audio server", in other words, it will play music and you have no "player" anywhere. It is:

a) command line
or
b) you can use one of the "front ends" such as gxmms2, abraca, or esperanza or others that are in the repos.

None of the front ends really do what a full featured player, such as say, VLC does, like with providing visualizations, or playing a cd. Visualizations for the front ends is an oft stated desire but has not yet appeared. Some of the front ends play a cd and some do not, all will play files that are on the hard drive.

However, one of the real "things" about xmms2 GUIS was that most would not play a .pls from something like shoutcast, but they would play streams from lastFM and the like.

The "news" of this post is:
a) gxmms2 now easily plays a .pls like folks have hoped one of the GUIS would for some time.
b) there is now a NEW command line player and it is named:

nyxmms2

It is totally command line and, apparently, has visualizations! how cool is that! And there are also a lot of new music file formats available.

As of now, if one tries to "run" xmms2 from the terminal, one gets a message that basically says: "this program is deprecated and will be replaced by nyxmms2.

This MAY mean that in the relatively near future that the "xmms2" that many people have tried and found less than interesting for several reasons.... is now going to be "full featured".

So.....the question..

Aptosid is as close as I have come to a "command line" experience and it has not been that bad so far..

If I am going to continue with xmms2 as nyxmms2 it may show up so that the front ends can hook into it, or not. It may be "command line" which, would probably be too much for me, I like a GUI for playing music...

So... being new to running SID... does anyone have enough info to kind of explain how this might, or might not, show up in aptosid?

Here are some possibly relevant links:

http://xmms2.org/wiki/Release:DrMattDestruction

http://xmms2.org/wiki/Main_Page

Thanks ahead of time and if there is not enough relevant information at this particular time it will be ok, I'm just asking.

bfcb

Reply with quote Back to top
jaegermeisterOffline
Post subject: RE: xmms2 nyxmms2 and a question.  PostPosted: 14.12.2010, 15:09

Wanna go REALLY minimalist?

apt-get install cplay

blackforestcoldbloodOffline
Post subject: RE: xmms2 nyxmms2 and a question.  PostPosted: 15.12.2010, 20:55

Hi
Im sorry that I haven't replied sooner, but had a lot going on.

Ok I'll do that!
bfcb

sunratOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 25.12.2010, 05:45

Qmmp is excellent for a simple GUI player. CDs, streams, playlists, visualizations, and every format I've thrown at it (including some that Amarok has trouble with).

sx9Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 26.12.2010, 00:03

[quote="sunrat"]Qmmp is excellent for a simple GUI player. CDs, streams, playlists, visualizations, and every format I
WOW! Sounds great! I'll have a look at it.

2x4GB DDR3 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 6770
OCZ Vertex 3 60GB (SSD)
Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB (HDD)
aptosid x86_64

Jump to: