View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
orcristOffline
Post subject: USB speakers - no sound in Iceweasel & Opera  PostPosted: 05.12.2010, 18:43

Hello to all
My problem is that I have no sound through my TEAC USB speakers when I browse the internet, e.g. in youtube.
Sound through other applications (e.g. Amarok) is set O.K. through the Multimedia section of System Settings - I found the device and pressed the Prefer button.
Here is my lsusb:

pana@ACER:~$ lsusb
Bus 005 Device 002: ID 0d8c:0103 C-Media Electronics, Inc. CM102-A+/102S+ Audio Controller
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 045e:00e1 Microsoft Corp. Wireless Laser Mouse 6000 Reciever
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
pana@ACER:~$

Let me say that this problem occurs also in Debian Stable and Unstable (Gnome environment) but not in Ubuntu and Ubuntu Netbook Remix so I didn't so far manage to figure out if this is only a KDE problem.

Reply with quote Back to top
bfreeOffline
Post subject: RE: USB speakers - no sound in Iceweasel & Opera  PostPosted: 05.12.2010, 19:12
Team Member

At a guess you have another sound device and flash is playing the audio out of it rather then the device you wanted. You can either try and blacklist whatever other sound device you have or configure asound to make your usb device the global default (http://alsa.opensrc.org/.asoundrc#Default_PCM_device)

orcristOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: USB speakers - no sound in Iceweasel & Opera  PostPosted: 06.12.2010, 17:16

bfree wrote:
At a guess you have another sound device and flash is playing the audio out of it rather then the device you wanted. You can either try and blacklist whatever other sound device you have or configure asound to make your usb device the global default (http://alsa.opensrc.org/.asoundrc#Default_PCM_device)

Thanks a lot my friend. Creating the .asoundrc file was the solution to the problem.
But let me write one peculiar behaviour just for reference: after having created the /home/user/.asoundrc file I rebooted the system and I had sound through the USB speakers when using flash but only through the built-in speakers when using a KDE application such as Amarok or Kaffeine. In the multimedia section of systemsettings I noticed that the USB sound device was still there but in faint letters. I removed .asoundrc and fired up Amarok which played through the USB speakers. Then I put back .asoundrc to its place and since then I have sound through USB speakers when they are connected or the built-in speakers when no USB is present - in both flash and KDE sound applications.

Jump to: