View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
bfreeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 15.09.2010, 13:27
Team Member

Upgrading packages without stopping X can easily cause problems.

As long as any package you want to install will not upgrade any packages then it is safe to install it without stopping X.

If installing a package will cause any other package(s) to upgrade, extreme caution should be taken and unless you are 100% certain every package which will be upgraded is not currently in use you should stop X before installing the package.

So guru's will probably have read the above and gone "ok, I get you". However I will warn "the guru's" that unless they really know all the packages (and all the possible run-time dependencies) then they should err on the side of caution and not risk ending up being too smart for their own good and ruining their system.

If you don't really understand the above then simply never allow any package to upgrade while X is running. The less time has passed since you last performed a dist-upgrade (which must be done outside X) the less likely it is any packages will want to upgrade.

All the above is equally valid to using packagesearch or using apt-get under X.

I suspect the manual will see an update sooner rather then later to clarify this.

Reply with quote Back to top
bluewaterOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 15.09.2010, 14:27
Team Member

The text is in the tools shed getting hammered , so users (in the main, will have sane guidelines) be 24 to 36 + hours or so before it uploaded.

Trevor
( hmm must get my sig and avatar back on deck)

DeepDayzeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 15.09.2010, 15:08

Of course if any new package upgrades ANY part of X or KDE it is best to exit back to init 3 and then do the install.

ghstryderOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 15.09.2010, 16:35

Quote:

I'm afraid the phantoms of impolite interventions arise again. Apologies for not knowing so much as you.

If you read my second post with a bit of attention, you'll realize that I've asked for advice, never try for "to know more than the devs".

If the use of apt-get for installing a package must be into init 3, the manual should be changed. In this page it is only recommended go to init 3 for apt-get dist-upgrade, not for apt-get install.

Hmmm, that was poorly written. I apologize for not separating you from the question. It is especially bad since my intent was not to limit discussion, but encourage it. The apt-get question vs xxx comes up so often that the answer became a sticky, effectively eliminating discussion. My hope was that by moving these posts out of the general support areas, some discussion might occur. The "know more than the devs" really stems from all the aptitude discussion and I should not have included it. Again, my apologies for a clumsy post.

sx9Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 15.09.2010, 22:00

Just one more option (safe + easy):
1.Search a package with packagesearch
2. Copy it and paste the like this in a root-terminal: apt-get install [here you can paste the packagename in] -d
3.After all packages have been downloaded, switch to a tty, login as root, and enter runlevel 3
4. Use the arrow keys up and down to browse the command history and select the entry wich you have used for downloading the package (apt-get install $package -d).
5. Remove the "-d" and execute the command.

The -d option lets you have a better control about your installation and upgrade tasks, because itjust downloads the packages without installing them.

This is already written down in the manual and maybe you know that already, but I just wanted to say that again here.

2x4GB DDR3 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 6770
OCZ Vertex 3 60GB (SSD)
Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB (HDD)
aptosid x86_64

timrichardsonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 16.09.2010, 20:53

Luis_P, I use graphical tool out of habit sometimes when doing small installs (most recently I used Synaptic to install some -dbg packages; it was very convenient to browse what was available, and harmless to install). While using sidux/aptosid for 18 months on several computers, I've never had a problem with this occasional use. But I trust myself to carefully peruse the proposed changes. Actually, you need to do that with apt-get dist-upgrade as well; from time to time due to the transitionary state of the repository, it will propose removing packages you don't want removed. My ritual is to use apt-get -d dist-upgrade,

There is no doubt that it can go very wrong. Most of the time apt-get is really easy. aptosid is kind of a miracle; a highly stable distribution based on sid. It's pretty clear that the use apt and init 3 is a big part of that miracle.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  
Jump to: