View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
dkadiogluOffline
15 Post subject: [solved] possible regression with kernel 2.6.37  PostPosted: 05.01.2011, 10:43

Hi,

@slh
as I was told in IRC I'm posting my problem with my bluetooth input devices and kernel 2.6.37 here. They work until I don't touch them for some seconds and my bluetooth device autosuspends. Then dmesg shows the following:

Code:
btusb 5-1:1.0: no reset_resume for driver btusb?
[ 1250.747352] btusb 5-1:1.1: no reset_resume for driver btusb?

One time I got the following trace: http://pastebin.com/nuP5jGFw

Can you please look into this, slh?

Thanks in advance!

dkadioglu

Last edited by dkadioglu on 25.02.2011, 10:06; edited 1 time in total

Reply with quote Back to top
dkadiogluOffline
Post subject: RE: possible regression with kernel 2.6.37  PostPosted: 05.01.2011, 22:02

I investigated the problem further and I'm almost sure that the autosuspend functionality of usbcore is the culprit. I deactivated it with usbcore.autosuspend=-1 appended to the kernel command line and now everything works as it should! No more errors in dmesg and no more hangs of my bluetooth input devices.

Anyway, slh, I hope you find the time to look into it as deactivating autosuspend completely is only a workaround. If you need further information, please ask.

slhOffline
Post subject: RE: possible regression with kernel 2.6.37  PostPosted: 05.01.2011, 22:34

It would be interesting to determine at which exact step that bug occurs, while I can't really test bluetooth in practice, I can't confirm any problem while plugging in an USB bluetooth stick and issuing "hcitool scan" (I can't test anything else, as I don't use any bluetooth devices myself). It might help to raise this issue, with its call trace, at bugzilla.kernel.org, where someone more familiar with bluetooth might take a look.

USB autosuspend has been enabled by pretty much all distributions for years, which means in practice that the non-suspending code paths are not tested thoroughly anymore. Given that the last time I tried disabling it (because in the beginning it uncovered bugs in many drivers not expecting to be suspended), I received multiple breakage reports within hours, I'm not going to disable USB_SUSPEND again.

dkadiogluOffline
Post subject: RE: possible regression with kernel 2.6.37  PostPosted: 05.01.2011, 23:55

The weird thing is, that my bluetooth devices work without problem until I don't touch them for some seconds. When I touch them again they come up or not (I can't reproduce that by now). Most times they don't work anymore and in dmesg I can find the above posted error concerning no reset_resume for btusb.

I've posted it on bugzilla.kernel.org: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=26182
Hopefully sb. can help me with that.

Thanks for now slh!

dkadiogluOffline
Post subject: RE: possible regression with kernel 2.6.37  PostPosted: 01.02.2011, 13:36

Hi again,

my problems concerning the usability of my bluetooth devices got even worse -> https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=26182

By now I've got no answer from anyone regarding my bug report. Any idea what else I can do?

Thanks and Regards

dkadiogluOffline
Post subject: RE: possible regression with kernel 2.6.37  PostPosted: 24.02.2011, 21:29

Hi slh,

could you please add the following commit to the next kernel update: http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/g ... b56d88ac03
According to the replies in the bug report, this should fix my problem with btusb.

Thanks in advance.
Regards

dkadiogluOffline
Post subject: RE: possible regression with kernel 2.6.37  PostPosted: 25.02.2011, 10:05

Thanks for integrating the fix in the latest update! This fixed the problem for me!

Regards

Jump to: