View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ankscorekOffline
Post subject: Warnings with dist-upgrade  PostPosted: 06.01.2011, 02:46

today i did a dist-upgrade and along with the generation of initramfs ..these warnings popped up..can someone suggest me what to do?

Quote:
Configuring linux-image-2.6.37-0.slh.1-aptosid-686
--------------------------------------------------

Required firmware files may be missing

This system is currently running Linux 2.6.36-2.slh.3-aptosid-686 and you are installing Linux 2.6.37-0.slh.1-aptosid-686. In the new version some of the drivers used on this
system may require additional firmware files:

b43: b43/ucode9.fw, b43/ucode5.fw, b43/ucode15.fw, b43/ucode14.fw, b43/ucode13.fw, b43/ucode11.fw, FW13
[More]

r8169: rtl_nic/rtl8168d-2.fw, rtl_nic/rtl8168d-1.fw

Most firmware files are not included in the system because they do not conform to the Debian Free Software Guidelines. You may need to reconfigure the package manager to include
the contrib and non-free sections of the package archive before you can install these firmware files.

I am more interested in the firmware warning part as this is happening since i have changed from sidux to aptosid

Reply with quote Back to top
DonKultOffline
Post subject: RE: Warnings with dist-upgrade  PostPosted: 06.01.2011, 11:51
Team Member

These warnings are shown on major kernel upgrades as it was detected that you have certain hardware but not the (recognized) firmware for the hardware.

As long as you can use anything you need you can ignore it. If something doesn't work, i would recommend to search for these files (they will resist in non-free packages mostly). Our fw-detect script as well as the manual can help you!

In regards to b43: I assume that is your wlan card - aptosid ships openfwwf firmware for broadcom cards per default which doesn't work for all cards (yet), but for many and as you are on the internet, i assume it works for you, so you can ignore the b43 warning completely… (i have such a card too)

Reply with quote Back to top
Jump to: