View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
SephiOffline
Post subject: Diagnose wireless network problems  PostPosted: 03.01.2011, 15:28

I installed an access point in my flat a few days ago. It works pretty well, apart from 2 things :

- The connection seems to be dropped every few minutes, then it comes back again after ~10 seconds

- The network speed when downloading a file from the internet is OK (~800 KBps), but when I try to transfer a file on the LAN from a computer to another, it drops to a maximum of 100-150 KBps

I don't know if the 2 problems are linked, but I was wandering if it's possible that the 2 computers are interfering each other or something ?

The access point I'm using is a Digitus BlackRapid N+ (http://www.digitus.info/produkte/netzwerk/300mbps-wireless-lan-serie/blackrapid-n-wireless-access-point-router-dn-7059-1/) with WPA2 encryption and I only have 2 PCs connected on the access point (although they only have ABG capability). One of the PCs has an intel 3945 wifi adapter, and the other one has an Atheros one (I don't remember the model though, I'll post it tonight) but the connection drop problem appears on the two of them. I also tried with a 3rd PC, and the problem is the same.

I really don't know where to start my investigation. I already tried changing the channel of the access point (I was using channel 5, because no other network seemed to be using it according to ceni and iwlist and I tried changing it to 13 without any improvement).

Do you know of any tool that I could use to troubleshoot this problem or do you have any clue on what's going on ?

Thanks in advance !

Reply with quote Back to top
sx9Offline
Post subject: RE: Diagnose wireless network problems  PostPosted: 03.01.2011, 15:33

My connection always varies in its availibility, too. Lik you said it, it breaks down and after a few seconds it's up and running again. I don't know what it is.

2x4GB DDR3 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 6770
OCZ Vertex 3 60GB (SSD)
Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB (HDD)
aptosid x86_64

dptOffline
Post subject: RE: Diagnose wireless network problems  PostPosted: 03.01.2011, 18:07

Mine WLAN also also breaks and makes, but not during page loading, not during downloads, and drops are for less than a second.

SephiOffline
Post subject: RE: Diagnose wireless network problems  PostPosted: 20.01.2011, 13:22

And what about your transfer speed ?

As for my problem, I asked on another forum but still no solution, so if anyone has an idea...

Jump to: