View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
NexOffline
22 Post subject: CUPS: configure problems with Konqueror/rekonq  PostPosted: 13.01.2011, 08:57

Hello everybody,

I have a strange problem configuring a Samsung CLP-610 networkprinter with CUPS 1.4.5 (KDE 4.4.5, aptosid keres, dist-upgrade 3 days ago). When I start the printer-configuration from K-Menu, Konqueror opens (altough my standard browser is rekonq) and asks for the root password. So far everything is good and I can configure the printer except the standard settings. The settings in the "General" window I can set, but if I click the "JCL" or "Banner" link nothing happens (means the "General" window is still there). So settings like Duplex printing or grayscale I can not set as standard.

Now if I open http://localhost:631 in rekonq (as a user) I can configure all these settings (so JCL, Banner etc links work). I'm also asked for root and root-password. But if I want to print something (like a pdf from Okular or a page from my webbrowser) I have to set duplex printing and grayscale manually (so it is not standard). Any hints for this problem?

And a second problem occur: sometimes It takes something like 15-20 minutes until the CUPS "page" loads (doesn't matter if opened in rekonq or Konqueror). And sometimes the CUPS page is presented in english (always in rekonq, sometimes in konqueror), sometimes in german (I am using a german KDE version).

Any Help would be appreciated.

Thanks to everyone for usefull hints

cu

Reply with quote Back to top
slamOffline
Post subject: RE: CUPS: configure problems with Konqueror/rekonq  PostPosted: 13.01.2011, 10:55
Team Member

Re Rekonq: This is still early development stuff, I would not use it for productive usage - specially not the outdated version in Debian.

Re Cups: We recommend to exclusively use the Cups web interface at http://localhost:631/ for printer configuration, as all other tools tend to break sometimes.

Re printer driver features: Which printer driver exactly do you use, and how did you install it? I suggest to remove alle the printers and printer drivers you have set up so far, and start cleanly. Do not install or use the foo2zjs package from Debian, it's not working - remove it if it is already installed. After that, you will need the foo2qpdl drivers and exactly follow the installation notes here. Take care to read it all, and do the Debian related steps. After that select the new drivers via the Cups interface for your network printer. Take your time to set all configuration defaults manually.

Be warned: This is a cheap quality printer with a fragile driver. Not all will work as with the Windows drivers. Also remember to re-install the driver after every upgrade of Cups.

Greetings,
Chris

Last edited by slam on 18.01.2011, 11:17; edited 1 time in total

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
NexOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 17.01.2011, 19:01

Hi slam,

thank you very much for your reply. Unfortunately at the moment I don't have time to try your suggestions. As soon as I did I will report on the results.

Again thank you!

cu

NexOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: CUPS: configure problems with Konqueror/rekonq  PostPosted: 27.01.2011, 15:27

slam wrote:
Re Rekonq: This is still early development stuff, I would not use it for productive usage - specially not the outdated version in Debian.

Actually Rekonq is not that bad. And Konqueror has for some reasons problems with the login page of my university. With rekonq everything works fine.

Quote:
Re Cups: We recommend to exclusively use the Cups web interface at http://localhost:631/ for printer configuration, as all other tools tend to break sometimes.

I exclusively use the CUPS we interface. This kde-system-printer-blah stuff is not even installed.

Quote:
Re printer driver features: Which printer driver exactly do you use, and how did you install it? I suggest to remove alle the printers and printer drivers you have set up so far, and start cleanly. Do not install or use the foo2zjs package from Debian, it's not working - remove it if it is already installed. After that, you will need the foo2qpdl drivers and exactly follow the installation notes here. Take care to read it all, and do the Debian related steps. After that select the new drivers via the Cups interface for your network printer. Take your time to set all configuration defaults manually.

I have to admit, I used the original Samsung unified drivers. Probably not the best choice. But most of the problems, especially this connection problem disappeared after the last dist-upgrade (last dist-upgrade means tuesday).

And I installed your suggested foo2qpdl driver. This works very well. But i still have the problem with Konqueror that I can not go to other "option pages" than the general page. If I click on the "Miscellaneous" link nothing happens. With rekonq this works ...

Quote:
Be warned: This is a cheap quality printer with a fragile driver. Not all will work as with the Windows drivers. Also remember to re-install the driver after every upgrade of Cups.

Unfortunately I noticed that this printer is a cheap low quality printer. But it is an office printer and I have to work with it Sad

cu

Jump to: