View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
myloOffline
Post subject: Installation and commissioning of multi fax/print/scan combi  PostPosted: 20.01.2011, 21:02

Hi all,

one year ago I installed sidux to a friends laptop. Unfortunately I could not get the multi print/fax/scan combi
      Code:
Epson Stylus SX215
to printing (32 bit, USB-device)!

Now I will install aptosid apate freshly. And I want to bring at least the printer up and running (better including scanner function)!

I have planned the following procedure (based on the experience before, where I tried nearly "everything"!):

1) Connnect laptop with multi and switch multi on
2) Start laptop from apate-iso (DVD) and start the installer
3) Install (32 bit full)
4) Install printer (hope it will be recognized as per localhost://631) and test it
5) If this does not work, second try with .ppd-file (now pipslite might enter the game, see below)
6) Test the scanner

Hopefully that works!

According to

Code:
http://www.openprinting.org/printer/Epson/Epson-Stylus_SX215

the multi/combi works troublefree.

Does someone have experience with this device regarding installation and commissioning?
Is the way described above a possible, successful way?
Is there something special to obey on multis/combis?

Can printer and scanner be treated (for the setup) as they were seperate devices and individually connected per USB?
Thanks for any hint!

Do I have to install a package like pipslite? I do not like to do this...

Or do I have to install something, as described below:

Code:
http://avasys.jp/eng/linux_driver/download/lsb/epson-inkjet/escpr/
http://avasys.jp/eng/linux_driver/download/lsb/epson-inkjet/escpr/README.html

Linux 3.1-6.slh.1-aptosid-amd64 x86_64[2010-03 Ἀπάτη (201012262151)]
Intel Core2 Duo E6550 @ Cache/Ram 4MB/4GB nVidia G72 7300 nouveau 2*250GB

Reply with quote Back to top
slamOffline
Post subject: RE: Installation and commissioning of multi fax/print/scan c  PostPosted: 21.01.2011, 09:52
Team Member

The printer works best with the Gutenprint drivers (do not install anything from Avasys!), and the scanner also does perfectly with the default sane-epson2 backend. So, both should work out of the box with latest Aptosid.

Greetings,
Chris

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
myloOffline
Post subject: RE: Installation and commissioning of multi fax/print/scan c  PostPosted: 21.01.2011, 13:42

slam,

thanks for the good news! I just came back from my friend, the aptosid inst is new, works perfect and has latest d-u. However we could not get the printer to work!

The machine is recognized in localhost:631 as "210" instead of "215". However we tried all drivers (gutenpring/cups, gutenprint/foomatic and gutenprint/foomatic/light).

The only thing we reached, is getting the printer printing weird letters (one or two lines per page, max 1 third of the page printed weird) and not stopping wasting paper on this.
Are there ia32-libs-gtk or any other special package needed?

Do you have any other idea? I am lost, because up to now I never had trouble getting a printer to work.

slamOffline
Post subject: RE: Installation and commissioning of multi fax/print/scan c  PostPosted: 21.01.2011, 14:36
Team Member

The correct printer is "210 Series" gutenprint-cups. If it does not print a correct test page, please check the Cups log files for errors.
Greetings,
Chris

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
myloOffline
Post subject: RE: Installation and commissioning of multi fax/print/scan c  PostPosted: 21.01.2011, 15:45

thanks slam,
I'll give it an other try and will report...

myloOffline
Post subject: RE: Installation and commissioning of multi fax/print/scan c  PostPosted: 19.02.2011, 17:50

Hi,

I come back to this topic, as I had the oppportunity today to reinstall the driver. I could not get the printer to printing (unfortunately no time to check the log), just to spitting empty pages after printing.

However, during browsing the cups-admin interface via localhost:631, I experienced that, after clicking a link, the website did not open: "Can't access..." or something else, like a 404.

This gave me the idea, whether the usb cable might have a defect or the usb port itself has sporadically a hardware prob/defect (the laptop gets very hot btw.).

Is there a possibility to check an usb-port on 100% "data / traffic integrity" by running a command?
Beside the cable, I would like to check this next time, I meet my friend.

Thanks in advance!

Jump to: