View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
oliveroOffline
Post subject: Unable to install due to graphical artifacts.  PostPosted: 27.01.2011, 14:54

When trying to install aptosid there is an error at the very beginning saying something like "adress space collision: host bridge window conflicts with video ROM" (i've quickly wrote it down so it may not be accurate). After that, when it gets to graphical installer all screen is just one messy blinking field of dots and things.
I think it's caused by buggy BIOS. (after my laptop nvidia videocard burned down, it was replaced by Radeon HD 3650 in unofficial service center, and BIOS was replaced). Kubuntu installed fine though.
So the question is can i somehow install aptosid using command line or is there some other way.

Reply with quote Back to top
devilOffline
Post subject: RE: Unable to install due to graphical artifacts.  PostPosted: 27.01.2011, 16:05

you can either use vesa mode for installing (xmodule=vesa) or disable kms for now. (radeon.modeset=0)

greetz
devil

towoOffline
Post subject: RE: Unable to install due to graphical artifacts.  PostPosted: 27.01.2011, 16:09

Vesa will not work, since it is not working, if KMS is enabled (is default).
So radeon.modeset=0 is the right choice.

After installing firmware-linux-nonfree must be installed, then the system will work without the radeon.modeset=0 bootcheat.

dptOffline
Post subject: RE: Unable to install due to graphical artifacts.  PostPosted: 27.01.2011, 18:17

I do not remember properly, but I guess that there was an option to opt for non-free during installation. I am not sure if was there when I installed aptosid.

portaroOffline
Post subject: RE: Unable to install due to graphical artifacts.  PostPosted: 29.01.2011, 02:01

yes in my case i use also the parameter.
radeon.modeset=0

and like comment towo after the premier use you need install a firmware -linux- free and non free and in the next boot the radeon.modeset is no necessary.

In my case this solution worked-

Jump to: