View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
dbruceOffline
Post subject: OO calc problem with 2.6.37 kernel  PostPosted: 27.01.2011, 15:01

Sorry if a known issue here, several forum searches found nothing.

Problem: with 2.6.37 kernel, OO calc hangs when trying to open most files (leaving a .~lock* file in the file directory.) Behavior is the same as reported here -

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=609594

except I've removed the packages mentioned in the bug report and still have the problem, and only with 2.6.37 kernels; have also tried Liquorix kernels, same problem. Tried various command line argument for OO, -norestore, -nolockcheck, but no help.

Odd thing ... on a fresh install of the kernel everything works on the first boot. On reboots, I get the problem. Sounds very Windows-like Smile which really bugs me, lol.

Any ideas? Thanks so much -B

Reply with quote Back to top
slhOffline
Post subject: RE: OO calc problem with 2.6.37 kernel  PostPosted: 27.01.2011, 15:39

It's not a known issue here, although the acknowledged Debian bugreport certainly makes it so.

What's even more weird though, is that I'm using openoffice.org-calc 1:3.2.1-11 (openoffice.org-filter-mobiledev is installed as well) on a daily basis, without ever having observed a crash. Given that it may be related to JAVA, it would be interesting to compare the installed JAVA packages, personally I'm exclusively using openjdk-6-* - eventually this bug only rises its head in the presence of SUN JAVA.

dbruceOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: OO calc problem with 2.6.37 kernel  PostPosted: 27.01.2011, 16:35

slh wrote:
It's not a known issue here, although the acknowledged Debian bugreport certainly makes it so.

What's even more weird though, is that I'm using openoffice.org-calc 1:3.2.1-11 (openoffice.org-filter-mobiledev is installed as well) on a daily basis, without ever having observed a crash. Given that it may be related to JAVA, it would be interesting to compare the installed JAVA packages, personally I'm exclusively using openjdk-6-* - eventually this bug only rises its head in the presence of SUN JAVA.

Thanks. From that bug report I assumed Java probably wasn't the problem, but now that I remove that -- was running Sun Java -- it appears for the moment that it may be the culprit. Since I've had moments where everything works, I'll test it for a few days before a final ruling.

Concerns me that the guy filing the bug report had the same problem with OpenJDK installed, but one hurdle at a time.

Thanks again, I'll keep this thread updated.

Update -- still seeing same behavior with all java packages completely removed. This is a really bare-bones OO install, just calc, writer, and impress with dependencies. Suggestions welcome.

1/28/11 - hadn't noticed before but Java browser plugins, both Sun and IcedTea, crash under 2.6.37 kernels on my system; confirmed with 3 different kernel packages. Luckily all is fine with 2.6.36 kernel.

dbruceOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 07.02.2011, 20:14

Just giving this a bump ... I've had no success at all resolving either the Java or OO calc issue with 2.6.37 kernels. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thx in advance.

diblOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 07.02.2011, 22:36

I can't help, but I can give you a data point. Due to hardware changes I reinstalled aptosid "Ἀπάτη" a couple of weeks ago, and so I chose to install Libre instead of OOO. I have a lot of spreadsheets going back years -- mostly .xls format but some were .ods. I just spent 10 minutes opening and closing a variety of them, and there's no sign of the problem. My java is from sun, ver. 1.6.0_22. Infobash:

Code:
Host/Kernel/OS  "aptosidbox" running Linux 2.6.37-0.slh.18-aptosid-amd64 x86_64 [ aptosid 2010-03 Ἀπάτη - kde-lite - (201012262151) ]
CPU Info        8x Intel Core i7 950 @ 8192 KB cache flags( sse3 ht nx lm vmx ) clocked at [ 1600.000 MHz ]
Videocard       nVidia GF100 [GeForce GTX 480]  X.Org 1.7.7  [ 1920x1200@50.0hz ]
Network cards   Marvell 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit
Processes 214 | Uptime 1day | Memory 2091.5/5979.1MB | HDD KINGSTON SS100S2,OCZ-REVODRIVE,OCZ-REVODRIVE,WDC WD1002FAEX-0,WDC WD1002FAEX-0 Size 2136GB (2%used) | GLX Renderer GeForce GTX 480/PCI/SSE2 | GLX Version 4.1.0 NVIDIA 260.19.36 | Client Shell | Infobash v3.34

slhOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 07.02.2011, 22:43

As explicitly mentioned in the release notes, we cannot support packages from 3rd party sources - especially your case will blow up spectacularly by the next mirror sync (as Debian's official libreoffice packages were uploaded this afternoon and are very likely to clash with the alien'ed rpm packages usually published by upstream).

diblOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 07.02.2011, 22:50

slh wrote:

especially your case will blow up spectacularly by the next mirror sync

Thanks! Heh -- one more reason to stay away from d-u for awhile.

dbruceOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 08.02.2011, 01:39

dibl wrote:
I can't help, but I can give you a data point.

Might be useful, you never know ... plus running a sort of Frankenstein Linux myself, so there are a number of variables here. Smile

I guess what surprises me is that usually by the time I run into any kind of little hiccup, Google gives about 50 million hits on forum discussions with the same issue. Perhaps it's just my turn to be on the bleeding edge, lol!

Thanks much!

Jump to: