View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
windmikeOffline
Post subject: [solved]can't establish new /home in separate partition  PostPosted: 29.01.2011, 19:21

I have an install of Aptosid 2010.03 all in the root partition, and would like to move /home to a separate partition. I have followed the tutorial in the Aptosid manual, and the result is that when I try to log in as myself, I get the message 'cannot enter home directory. Using /.'

To review what I've done; I booted at runlevel 1 and copied the /home from my / directory to the new partition, which already existed and was showing in /etc/fstab. Then while still root I mcedit /etc/fstab to change the mount point of the 'new home' from (in my case) /media/disk2part5 to /home. According to everything I read, the options I have in fstab are ok... auto,users,rw,exec,noatime 0 0. I've checked the permissions on everything old and new, and it appears to be identical. I am stumped and would appreciate some assistance. If I need to give more detail I would be happy to do so, I'm just above noob level and am probably missing something simple.

thanks,
Mike

Reply with quote Back to top
pumrelOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 29.01.2011, 21:05

Hi Mike,
I've done the same thing recently. I think I might see a problem there. You don't copy /home, but what's inside. The actual /home directory should rest where it is and is destined to be a mountpoint for the new partition.
So if your entire new partition's going to be used as home, when you look into it you should see the directories of all the users, not the home directory. The home directory stays in / and in fstab you'll have sth like this

Code:
UUID=18405437-901d-4631-87d5-f61d1a8e1e8a     /home    ext4       nodev,nosuid 0 2

The options might differ. I can't tell the difference, because I'd say I'm above noob level too Very Happy but yours seem to be fine.

stefutzOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 20.02.2011, 20:45

I've got a similar problem, though.
I've changed some partitions, and i copied the /home/user folder to another, not empty, partition.
Then i deleted the partition containing the home/user documents.
What i want now to do is that the system recognise the new location of the /home/user (perhaps put a link on it to the new location)
Also, i made a swap partition that the system does not load. Does it have to be mounted in /etc/fstab ?

So : how to tell the system that /home/user is no longer a partition but a folder somewhere on another partition ? and also that there is a swap partition ready to be used and not loaded as swap ?

devilOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 20.02.2011, 20:54

something like
UUID=406897939-ba99-4315-81dc-b6b7c1b7e5dd none swap sw 0 0
in fstab ande a swapon -a should do the trick.
the moving-home stuff is covered by the manual.

greetz
devil

stefutzOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 20.02.2011, 21:06

the swap part fixed, but the moving home is not covered by the manual entirely. it says how to mount home on the new partition, not to mount home inside a particular directory on a non-empty partition.
for example i want /home/user to be the mount of /media/other_media/some_directory/another_directory/the_new_home_location
as far as i know, fstab only mounts devices...
so i don't know what to do Sad

stefutzOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 20.02.2011, 21:41

[SOLVED]
i logged in as root, startx , then went to /home/, there i right-clicked > create basic link to directory, name of link identical to user_name and location to point to new home folder

cid-babaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 21.02.2011, 12:31

ouch! startx as root is not a good idea!

maybe the command your were looking for was
      Code:
mount --bind /your/dircetion /home/username
or in fstab
      Code:
/your/direction /home/username none bind 0 0
(however: a seperate partition for /home is not a bad idea, but I hope you know why you take another way)

Jump to: