View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ikeinthaiOffline
Post subject: diggin the funny feelin in my tummy.  PostPosted: 09.02.2011, 05:14

clivesay wrote:
It's kinda nice to be back on the sid rollercoaster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ATZ4afKhPk

a little pleasant pain is preferable to boredom, for me.

Reply with quote Back to top
elzorroOffline
Post subject: xserver-xorg : Many packages to be removed !!!  PostPosted: 09.02.2011, 10:51

Sure busted aptosid 32 new geras install tonite new xserver and all, but still boots MS, got a phone call in the middle and dist-upgrade surgically removed eveything in xsever, after setting it all up beautifully for nvidia and ttf-droid ho hum nothing is permanent.
Sure is a super cranky time after squeeze, I'll never do another upgrade within cooee of a debian stable release again yuk.
I wonder if it is fixable one day or just leave it reinstall and leave well alone for a month or so.

Gott und Himmel gefallen!
Regardz
El Zorro

timrichardsonOffline
Post subject: RE: xserver-xorg : Many packages to be removed !!!  PostPosted: 09.02.2011, 11:32

Does anyone know if the problems are simply a delay for binary packages to be built, or is there a more fundamental problem which will take longer to fix?

--Tim

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  
towoOffline
Post subject: RE: xserver-xorg : Many packages to be removed !!!  PostPosted: 09.02.2011, 11:41

It was a rejected upload.
You can easy fix this, if you install xserver-xorg-video-vesa and xserver-xorg-input-evdev from experimental.

timrichardsonOffline
Post subject: RE: xserver-xorg : Many packages to be removed !!!  PostPosted: 09.02.2011, 12:00

thanks towo. That's the first advice on this thread which has worked for me.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  
elzorroOffline
Post subject: xserver-xorg : Many packages to be removed !!!  PostPosted: 09.02.2011, 12:11

Congrats slam,
(post on 3, used aptosid geras live cd to fix repo to
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian experimental main contrib non-free

and hashed all the rest for now )

worked as is below and leave well enough alone for now until fixed

Cheers El Zorro

slam wrote:
After activating experimental Debian repos, go init 3 and:
      Code:
apt-get update
apt-get install xserver-xorg-core -t experimental
apt-get dist-upgrade
init 5 && exit

Users of the Nvidia graphics cards with the proprietary "nvidia" driver, add before init 5:
      Code:
apt-get install --reinstall nvidia-glx -t experimental

Greetings,
Chris

muchan
Post subject: RE: xserver-xorg : Many packages to be removed !!!  PostPosted: 09.02.2011, 12:51

Here, a question.
After squeeze's release, new version of apt 8.11 is in sid,
/usr/share/doc/apt/NEWS.debian.gz has at the top
      Code:

apt (0.8.11) unstable; urgency=low

* apt-get install pkg/experimental will now not only switch the
    candidate of package pkg to the version from the release experimental
    but also of all dependencies of pkg if the current candidate can't
    satisfy a versioned dependency.

-- David Kalnischkies <kalnischkies>  Fri, 03 Dec 2010 14:09:12 +0100

(this is shown also while apt-get installs this version)

Now, I see that with this change of apt, the command slam posted,
#apt-get install xserver-xorg-core -t experimental
works even though xserver-xorg-core is not on experimental any more.

But I wonder, for system that couldn't do d-u because of broken Xorg,
before the new version of apt already working, can the old version of apt
still solve the xorg's dependencies from "-t experimental"?

towoOffline
Post subject: RE: xserver-xorg : Many packages to be removed !!!  PostPosted: 09.02.2011, 13:00

It's not nessesary to install xserver-xorg-core from experimental.
The only 2 packages from experimental are xserver-xorg-video-{vesa|ati|intel|whatever} and xserver-xorg-input-evdev.
Then a d-u works flawles, besides the other broken packages (ffmpeg, whatever).

elzorroOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: xserver-xorg : Many packages to be removed !!!  PostPosted: 09.02.2011, 13:09

It rebuilt the whole module on slh's kernel, and there do not appear to have been any dependency issues in the ensuing printout, and they seem to all work fine here. Also xserver-xorg-core sure seems to be there, though experimental is incomplete it surely needs this fundamental?
Guess they will all be updated again when sid is in better humour time will tell.
Regardz El Zorro

muchan wrote:
Here, a question.
After squeeze's release, new version of apt 8.11 is in sid,
/usr/share/doc/apt/NEWS.debian.gz has at the top
[code]
apt (0.8.11) unstable; urgency=low

but also of all dependencies of pkg if the current candidate can't
satisfy a versioned dependency.

Last edited by elzorro on 09.02.2011, 13:19; edited 3 times in total

muchan
Post subject: Re: RE: xserver-xorg : Many packages to be removed !!!  PostPosted: 09.02.2011, 13:34

towo wrote:
It's not nessesary to install xserver-xorg-core from experimental.
The only 2 packages from experimental are xserver-xorg-video-{vesa|ati|intel|whatever} and xserver-xorg-input-evdev.
Then a d-u works flawles, besides the other broken packages (ffmpeg, whatever).

actually, it started when I saw slam's command, and checked the version of xserver-xorg-core on experimental. And found any.
With my understanding of apt at that time, I thought it should not work, but when I tried with -s option, it worked.
Then I thought about upgrade of apt itself, and understood why.
Now I wonder, if this is solution for people actually having problem with d-u, thus not having new version of apt.
(it's more theoretical question than seeking actual solution)

For actuall solution, towo is right, and directly adress the problem than implicitely.
(but on my system, slam's worked...) for general advice, maybe you need to do "#apt-get install apt" or not? that is my question here.

(well, I know I can test it myself, with new installation...
but thought DonKult could answer me much faster. 8)

snvvOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 09.02.2011, 13:59

After holding xserver and dist upgraded my system everything "works" but the desktop response is very slow.

So if you want a fast as usually aptosid system better to wait a bit before DU.

DonKultOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: xserver-xorg : Many packages to be removed !!!  PostPosted: 09.02.2011, 14:09
Team Member

No, you don't need to update APT. Its just that the archive changes all the time and mirrors are keeping up (or not), so while one method works for one doesn't mean it will work 6 hours later - or for another one with a different mirror at the same time. I would say the general advice should remain: Wait.

And now to answer the question:
'apt-get install pkg -t experimental' is not the same as 'apt-get install pkg/experimental' !
-t stands for --target-release. Lets make it easy and let us say the target-release for aptosid is unstable by default (in reality its more complicate). This means versions coming from 'unstable' are preferred.
If you switch the release with the -t flag, versions coming from 'experimental' will be preferred for all packages which you install.

'apt-get install pkg/experimental' on the other hand works similar to 'apt-get install pkg=version' - just that you don't know the exact version. It will just for this single package select the version from experimental for installation.

What 0.8.11 does now is that it checks for each pkg/release if it has versioned dependencies which require that the dependencies come from 'release', too. If so, it will install them from 'release', if not it will install them from the default release. If you switch with '-t release' all packages will come from 'release' (if available) regardless if its needed or not. So you get more packages from experimental than you need which could make your system more unstable then needed (think of stable and backports). Most users use -t because it was to hard for them to identify which packages need to be upgraded, too, so APT does it now automatic - the previous behavior was a (big) failure message.

muchan
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: xserver-xorg : Many packages to be removed !!!  PostPosted: 09.02.2011, 14:23

Thanks DonKult for the detailed answer! as always.

DeepDayzeOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: xserver-xorg : Many packages to be removed !!!  PostPosted: 09.02.2011, 14:25

So apt's getting smarter these days...definitely helps

ankscorekOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: xserver-xorg : Many packages to be removed !!!  PostPosted: 09.02.2011, 14:27

so now please cut the clutter and give the exact steps cause the -t experimental is displaying umet dependencies

Jump to: