View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ShakaZOffline
15 Post subject: Can't remove wine - apt-get bricked [SOLVED]  PostPosted: 16.02.2011, 13:21

Hello all,

while trying to get a game to work on wine I was surprised to find out that the wine version that ships with sid is 1.0.1 dating released in October 2005.
So I installed the latest release I found at http://www.lamaresh.net/binary.php#sid_amd64, like this :

dpkg -i wine_1.1.42~winehq1-1_amd64.deb

The install failed, I think because I hadn't remove the old wine version, and that's when the joy-ride started. Impossible to remove wine to restart properly. (apt-get remove libwine wine and apt-get -f install didn't help)

After some googling I tried this :
dpkg -i --force-depends wine_1.1.42~winehq1-1_amd64.deb

This did install the wine version I wanted, and the game ran fine after that. However the result was a borked apt-get.

Tried to remove wine again with the above commands, resulting in apt-get failing to do so because it tried installing wine-unstable and reported errors similar to these :
      Quote:
E: Could not perform immediate configuration on 'wine-unstable'. Please see man 5 apt.conf under APT::Immediate-Configure for details. (2)

Trying to disable Immediate-Configure in apt.conf.d to solve the issue had no effect.

Quote:
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/wine-bin-unstable_1.1.32-1+b1_amd64.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite '/usr/bin/wine-font-convert', which is also in package wine-utils 1.0.1-3.1
configured to not write apport reports
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/wine-bin-unstable_1.1.32-1+b1_amd64.deb

Manually reinstalling all the original wine deb files didn't solve the issue either.

More googling and a couple of hours later :
dpkg -i --force-overwrite libwine-cms_1.0.1-3.1_amd64.deb libwine-gl_1.0.1-3.1_amd64.deb wine_1.0.1-3.1_amd64.deb wine-bin_1.0.1-3.1_amd64.deb libwine-gphoto2_1.0.1-3.1_amd64.deb libwine-ldap_1.0.1-3.1_amd64.deb wine-utils_1.0.1-3.1_amd64.deb
This did finally get rid of the wine 1.1.42 I installed manually at the beginning.

Another round of apt-get -f install, apt-get remove wine, apt-get -f install got rid of the errors of apt-get -f install.

The issue remains though trying to remove wine or replace it by wine-unstable results in the same errors :

Code:
root:/var/cache/apt/archives# apt-get remove  wine
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done                                                                                                                                                               
The following extra packages will be installed:                                                                                                                                                 
  libwine-alsa-unstable libwine-bin-unstable libwine-cms-unstable libwine-gl-unstable libwine-gphoto2-unstable libwine-ldap-unstable libwine-print-unstable libwine-sane-unstable               
  libwine-unstable wine-bin-unstable wine-unstable                                                                                                                                             
Suggested packages:                                                                                                                                                                             
  wine-doc binfmt-support winbind avscan klamav clamav                                                                                                                                         
The following packages will be REMOVED:                                                                                                                                                         
  libwine libwine-alsa libwine-cms libwine-gl libwine-gphoto2 libwine-ldap libwine-print libwine-sane wine wine-bin wine-utils                                                                 
The following NEW packages will be installed:                                                                                                                                                   
  libwine-alsa-unstable libwine-bin-unstable libwine-cms-unstable libwine-gl-unstable libwine-gphoto2-unstable libwine-ldap-unstable libwine-print-unstable libwine-sane-unstable               
0 upgraded, 11 newly installed, 11 to remove and 242 not upgraded.                                                                                                                             
Need to get 0 B/14.0 MB of archives.                                                                                                                                                           
After this operation, 21.2 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
E: Could not perform immediate configuration on 'wine-unstable'. Please see man 5 apt.conf under APT::Immediate-Configure for details. (2)

Code:
root:/var/cache/apt/archives# apt-get  install wine-unstable
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
  libwine-unstable wine-bin-unstable
Suggested packages:
  wine-doc binfmt-support winbind avscan klamav clamav
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  libwine libwine-alsa libwine-cms libwine-gl libwine-gphoto2 libwine-ldap libwine-print libwine-sane wine wine-bin wine-utils
The following NEW packages will be installed:
Need to get 0 B/14.0 MB of archives.
After this operation, 21.2 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y

The weird thing is I didn't ask for wine-unstable but apt-get decided that I had to install it if I wanted to get rid of wine.

Last edited by ShakaZ on 17.02.2011, 06:26; edited 3 times in total

Reply with quote Back to top
DonKultOffline
Post subject: RE: Can  PostPosted: 16.02.2011, 14:44
Team Member

Oh my god…

So let me reword your question: You used a bunch of --force flags to FORCE dpkg to do stuff it normally never would accept - not because you know what you did but because you found it somewhere on the internet and executed it therefore without even trying to understand what you do because the internet is always right and you can trust it fully and now you want to know how to force APT to accept the broken situation. Right?

Sorry bro…

I guess dpkg is still unhappy, try 'dpkg --audit'. If not, one of the packages you forced on the system are still there and blocking a sane upgrade path. Wine isn't the sort of package which gets the 'immediate' flag in normal situations, but feel free to read what APT tells you about the immediate flag - i added the message and the manpage section for a reason, it might help you.

Oh, and please don't blame the maintainer of this third-party repository, if you would use it correctly, the experience would be nicer… (not that i have used it ever, but it can't be worser than installing by hand with force flags)

ShakaZOffline
Post subject: RE: Can  PostPosted: 16.02.2011, 20:53

Well, if you read me correctly you'd know I'm not blaming anyone except myself, and assuming I didn't even try to understand what I was doing is pretty lame and unnecessary. The primary source of information we have to fix issues is the internet. I'm not trying to force apt to accept a broken situation, rather to get it to fix the issue. If you had read my post carefully you'd know I did read the information about the Immediate-Configure flag, that was actually one of the first things I did.
Why all this negativity towards someone who actually does the effort of trying to understand what's going on and fix things by himself?

dpkg --audit doesn't output anything

The man page of apt.conf suggests to try to install the problematic package, in this case wine-unstable, but that doesn't work as noted above.

catalinusOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 16.02.2011, 20:58

@ShakaZ: I can't help you with your current problem, but I want to point another way to get the latest wine without stepping in all kind of problems.

I'm not a gamer, I've lost interest in games, but I still use wine for a writing app I am used with, and which has no Linux version/alternative.

To run wine on amd64, I install only ia32-libs. Than I download the latest build from wine ppa, currently wine1.3 (for maverick), I extract the .deb, than I extract the data.tar.lzma (lzma -dv data.tar.lzma), than I extract the resulted data.tar, and finally I move the entire /usr directory to my choice wine location, and I use wine with a custom prefix, something like

Code:
env WINEPREFIX="/home/user/[path to]/wine/pref" /home/user/[path to]/wine/usr/bin/wine "\home\user\[path to]\name.exe"

You can see on winehq wiki more about the env WINEPREFIX

And if you need to install strange little things, you can always use winetricks, just create a symbolic link for wine in /usr/bin

It's just an example, maybe you'll find something useful in it.

DonKultOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 16.02.2011, 21:14
Team Member

ShakaZ, thats easy, the very first command you posted is one including '--force-depends'. That is bad as hell. The other --force options aren't much better as the dpkg manpage says explicitly about all of them: "Warning: These options are mostly intended to be used by experts only. Using them without fully understanding their effects may break your whole system." An expert wouldn't ask questions here about these flags so i assumed that you haven't read the manpage - otherwise you would know what you did.

The problem itself is "easy"… you just need to look at one statistic entry: "242 not upgraded." -- APT tries in your requests to upgrade half of your system in a try to remove not too much. Thats doomed to fail - nearly by definition.

You have to remove the things you installed by hand on the same way: by hand with dpkg. After that, you should make an dist-upgrade and only after that you can try to install wine in whatever version and from whatever source you want…

P.S.: If you would have read the manpage of APT, it would have told you how to disable immediate configuration manually btw, so that again nothing you have to ask for…

ShakaZOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 16.02.2011, 22:17

DonKult wrote:
The problem itself is "easy"… you just need to look at one statistic entry: "242 not upgraded." -- APT tries in your requests to upgrade half of your system in a try to remove not too much. Thats doomed to fail - nearly by definition.

Apt doesn't try to upgrade half my system, it only tries to install the unstable version of wine when removing the stable version...
      Quote:

The "242 not upgraded" just means there are 242 packages available to upgrade, not that for removing wine apt wants those to be upgraded.
Really wondering what drugs you're on Laughing

DonKult wrote:
P.S.: If you would have read the manpage of APT, it would have told you how to disable immediate configuration manually btw, so that again nothing you have to ask for…

Again, I did read and tried to disable it as I explained in my first post, that option just has no effect whether I put
APT::Immediate-Configure "false"; or APT::Immediate-Configure "1";
Still spits the same error out :

DonKult wrote:
You have to remove the things you installed by hand on the same way: by hand with dpkg. After that, you should make an dist-upgrade and only after that you can try to install wine in whatever version and from whatever source you want…

What packages should I remove the 1st one that the system doesn't see anymore or the ones that were previously there and that I forced to reinstalled to try to get rid of the first one?

DonKultOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 16.02.2011, 23:35
Team Member

ShakaZ wrote:
Really wondering what drugs you're on Laughing

The same drugs i use every day to work on APT, so thanks for you short but very true lesson on how APT really work. I surely wasted the last 2 years as i totally misunderstand how it works. It seems that one of my greatest misunderstandings is the message you refer to which i added myself, so thanks a lot for your help, i see so much clear now… Rolling Eyes

/me lends back in his chair, grabs another bunch of funny looking pills, smokes a big bong and stops supporting the experts in dragons forum while riding his pink unicorn back to 'narcotics paradise'… Rolling Eyes

The problem with opensource software is that every time you tell another user that he doesn't know how the software works you possible speak with one of the developers of the software in question… That never happens with closedsource software - or its at least very very unlikely as these developers doesn't do frontline support.

piperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 16.02.2011, 23:58

Can you try and do

Code:
dpkg -P wine
also remove the .wine folder /home/username

then

Code:
dpkg -s wine | grep Status
to check on the package status (installed or not)

it also won't hurt to do
      Code:
apt-get remove --purge wine wine-utils libwine libwine-alsa libwine-capi libwine-cms libwine-dev libwine-esd libwine-gl libwine-gphoto2 libwine-ldap libwine-nas libwine-print libwine-sane libwine-jack

apt-get clean

to install wine from ubuntu's PPA (for maverick) in other words a ubuntu .deb is not a good idea and is not recommended since ubuntu is not binary compatible with neither debian nor aptosid

download a wine/debian .deb package from binary list and manually install it

http://www.lamaresh.net/binary.php

ghstryderOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 17.02.2011, 01:56

What are the chances of someone signing up on the forum and then immediately proceeding to piss off one of the more valuable resources on the planet relative to his particular problem? I started out to be mad, but the more I considered the irony, the funnier I found it to be.

ibgbOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 17.02.2011, 02:52

Quote:
What are the chances of someone signing up on the forum and then immediately proceeding to piss off one of the more valuable resources on the planet relative to his particular problem?

Not only valuable for his considerable technical abilities, but also for his humor, good nature and even manner.

One would think that someone with a system borked completely by their own doing, coming to a place seeking advice provided entirely through altruism, would perhaps be a little slower to respond aggressively to perceived disrespect.

ShakaZOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 17.02.2011, 06:05

piper wrote:
Can you try and do

Code:
dpkg -P wine
also remove the .wine folder /home/username

then

Code:
dpkg -s wine | grep Status
to check on the package status (installed or not)

it also won't hurt to do
      Code:
apt-get remove --purge wine wine-utils libwine libwine-alsa libwine-capi libwine-cms libwine-dev libwine-esd libwine-gl libwine-gphoto2 libwine-ldap libwine-nas libwine-print libwine-sane libwine-jack

apt-get clean

Quote:
dpkg -P wine
dpkg: dependency problems prevent removal of wine:
q4wine depends on wine | wine-unstable | wine1.0 | wine1.2; however:
Package wine is to be removed.
Package wine-unstable is not installed.
Package wine1.0 is not installed.
Package wine1.2 is not installed.
dpkg: error processing wine (--purge):
dependency problems - not removing
Errors were encountered while processing:
wine

Looks like q4wine is the origin of the dependency vicious circle. I though I had removed it in the process of trying to find a fix, but it seems it didn't work.

EDIT : Indeed this did the trick :
apt-get remove q4wine
dpkg -P wine
apt-get remove --purge libwine libwine-alsa libwine-cms libwine-gl libwine-gphoto2 libwine-ldap libwine-print libwine-sane wine-bin wine-utils

Thank you so much Piper, I was already starting to consider doing a reinstall of the whole system Very Happy

dexterusOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 18.02.2011, 08:20

would've saved you a plenty of trouble and time if you just used frickelplatz repo to install wine... current situation there:
      Code:

apt-cache policy wine
wine:
  Installed: 1.3.12-1~frickel.1
  Candidate: 1.3.13-1~frickel.1
  Version table:
     1.3.13-1~frickel.1 0
        500 http://frickelplatz.de/debian/ sid/main i386 Packages
 *** 1.3.12-1~frickel.1 0
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     1.0.1-3.1 0
        500 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ sid/main i386 Packages