View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
kenyeeOffline
Post subject: anyone use a non-asix based usb/ethernet adapter  PostPosted: 21.02.2011, 16:39

Does anyone use one of these to add an additional ethernet port to their system?

The asix driver appears to have broken w/ the latest dist upgrade so I'm looking for an alternative...

Reply with quote Back to top
DeepDayzeOffline
Post subject: RE: anyone use a non-asix based usb/ethernet adapter  PostPosted: 21.02.2011, 21:15

no PCI slots on your motherboard for a NIC?

kenyeeOffline
Post subject: RE: anyone use a non-asix based usb/ethernet adapter  PostPosted: 21.02.2011, 23:07

Would like to minimize the stuff inside to keep airflow good...also has an HDTV tuner in it.
That's plan C at this point...looking for another usb adapter is Plan B.

What's really weird is it worked fine for the past few years until the last dist-upgrade...and it's not dependent on the .26 or .27 kernel which you'd think would be true because the asix driver is now part of the kernel... Razz

DeepDayzeOffline
Post subject: RE: anyone use a non-asix based usb/ethernet adapter  PostPosted: 21.02.2011, 23:49

Did you file a bug report for the broken asix driver?

kenyeeOffline
Post subject: RE: anyone use a non-asix based usb/ethernet adapter  PostPosted: 22.02.2011, 21:10

yep: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=614326

No replies yet. I wasn't sure what to specify for the package, so base was the only thing I could think of since the asix driver is part of the kernel now and something in dist-upgrade affected it...

BTW, FYI, the apple usb/ethernet adapter uses the asix chipset. The airlink 101 gigabit usb adapter uses an asic chipset. The monoprice usb/ethernet adapters use an asix chipset.
Seems like everyone else has given up that chipset market Razz

kenyeeOffline
Post subject: RE: anyone use a non-asix based usb/ethernet adapter  PostPosted: 09.06.2011, 00:44

FYI, looks like the Pegasus driver (finally found one w/ a different chipset than the asix) also has issues.
I'm running the latest Debian 2.6.39-1 kernel w/ the latest sid updates. No luck. Apparently, the udev updates from February have broken all the usb/ethernet adapters Razz
Looks like it's time to stick a real ethernet card in Sad

kenyee@JumpGate:/etc/network/if-pre-up.d$ ethtool -i eth1
driver: pegasus
version: v0.6.14 (2006/09/27)
firmware-version:
bus-info: usb-0000:00:12.0-1
supports-statistics: no
supports-test: no
supports-eeprom-access: no
supports-register-dump: no

ifconfig -a
eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:00:00:00:00:00
BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
`

slhOffline
Post subject: RE: anyone use a non-asix based usb/ethernet adapter  PostPosted: 09.06.2011, 01:05

Several PCIe GBit/s ethernet cards are pretty small (at least short) and don't tend to disrupt the airflow too much; personally I'd avoid USB ethernet cards like the plague (mostly for performance reasons, though; are there really any mainboards without at least one 100 MBit/s onboard nic left?).

DeepDayzeOffline
Post subject: RE: anyone use a non-asix based usb/ethernet adapter  PostPosted: 09.06.2011, 14:35

I have tested some Netgear USB adapters and yes they are slow, but they work in a pinch.

kenyeeOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: anyone use a non-asix based usb/ethernet adapter  PostPosted: 10.06.2011, 00:55

slh wrote:
are there really any mainboards without at least one 100 MBit/s onboard nic left?).

Problem is I'm using a mainboard w/ only one nic and I need two (standard firewall configuration); the usb adapter is on the Internet side which is a 768Kb/s line so speed isn't really an issue Smile

The Netgear FA120 doesn't work for me on aptosid...it's asix based. It got disabled w/ a dist-upgrade in February this year Razz
DeepDayze: are you saying you Netgear adapter works w/ the latest updates?

Jump to: