View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
kyonidesOffline
22 Post subject: Desktop Icons not refreshed after software installs  PostPosted: 21.02.2011, 18:29

I installed a few apps like pidgin and LibreOffice 3.3.1 (with the KDE integration) plus KGet and some others but I noticed the icons aren't refreshed or updated by the GUI, i.e. LO 3.3.1 icons look still like the old OOo 3.0 ones but if I open the properties window I find the new The Document Foundation style icon right there, already selected. I don't know what's happening here, why the icons db isn't properly updated. Can anyone give a hint on what I can do to fix this weird issue?

Reply with quote Back to top
towoOffline
Post subject: RE: Desktop Icons not refreshed after software installs  PostPosted: 21.02.2011, 18:35

Does hit F5 refresh the icons?

kyonidesOffline
Post subject: RE: Desktop Icons not refreshed after software installs  PostPosted: 21.02.2011, 18:38

Nope, it doesn't...

devilOffline
Post subject: RE: Desktop Icons not refreshed after software installs  PostPosted: 21.02.2011, 18:54

could you paste the outpout of:
      Code:
dpkg -l | grep openoffice*

greetz
devil

kyonidesOffline
Post subject: RE: Desktop Icons not refreshed after software installs  PostPosted: 21.02.2011, 20:13

Perhaps I could post the results of libreoffice since openoffice isn't installed on my aptosid box.

Code:
# dpkg -l | grep libreoffice*
ii  libreoffice-debian-menus                  3.3-8                        LibreOffice desktop integration
ii  libreoffice3                              3.3.1-19                     Brand module for LibreOffice 3.3
ii  libreoffice3-base                         3.3.1-19                     Base brand module for LibreOffice 3.3
ii  libreoffice3-calc                         3.3.1-19                     Calc brand module for LibreOffice 3.3
ii  libreoffice3-dict-en                      3.3.1-19                     En dictionary for LibreOffice 3.3
ii  libreoffice3-dict-es                      3.3.1-19                     Es dictionary for LibreOffice 3.3
ii  libreoffice3-dict-fr                      3.3.1-19                     Fr dictionary for LibreOffice 3.3
ii  libreoffice3-draw                         3.3.1-19                     Draw brand module for LibreOffice 3.3
ii  libreoffice3-en-us                        3.3.1-19                     Brand language module for LibreOffice 3.3
ii  libreoffice3-impress                      3.3.1-19                     Impress brand module for LibreOffice 3.3
ii  libreoffice3-math                         3.3.1-19                     Math brand module for LibreOffice 3.3
ii  libreoffice3-ure                          1.7.0-19                     UNO Runtime Environment
ii  libreoffice3-writer                       3.3.1-19                     Writer brand module for LibreOffice 3.3

piperOffline
Post subject: RE: Desktop Icons not refreshed after software installs  PostPosted: 22.02.2011, 00:00

what if you change your icons (system settings) and then change them back to the ones you want (wait for the system to update)

does that do anything ?

devilOffline
Post subject: RE: Desktop Icons not refreshed after software installs  PostPosted: 22.02.2011, 01:09

maybe you could post what i asked for?
are you saying, you tried the command and it had no output?
or are you saying:
no need for that command, its not installed?

greetz
devil

agaidaOffline
Post subject: RE: Desktop Icons not refreshed after software installs  PostPosted: 22.02.2011, 01:54

just refresh the chached stuff, i.e. delete the related temp-files and the icon-cache. after that LO shows the new icons.

DeepDayzeOffline
Post subject: RE: Desktop Icons not refreshed after software installs  PostPosted: 22.02.2011, 02:57

Where would the icon-cache be located?

myloOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Desktop Icons not refreshed after software installs  PostPosted: 22.02.2011, 09:52

devil wrote:
maybe you could post what i asked for?
greetz
devil

I saw the same effect and "...grep openoffice*" gave null/none.

My workaround was, to getting the symbols manually one by one.

Linux 3.1-6.slh.1-aptosid-amd64 x86_64[2010-03 Ἀπάτη (201012262151)]
Intel Core2 Duo E6550 @ Cache/Ram 4MB/4GB nVidia G72 7300 nouveau 2*250GB

piperOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Desktop Icons not refreshed after software installs  PostPosted: 22.02.2011, 23:58

DeepDayze wrote:

/.kde/cache-hostname/kpc

~/.kde/cache-<hostname> is (usually) a symlink to /var/tmp/kdecache-<username>

do NOT remove ~/.kde/cache-* itself, only remove the kpc directory, that's
the pixmap/icon cache, kde * should * regenerate it

DeepDayzeOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Desktop Icons not refreshed after software installs  PostPosted: 23.02.2011, 00:42

piper wrote:
      DeepDayze wrote:

/.kde/cache-hostname/kpc

~/.kde/cache-<hostname> is (usually) a symlink to /var/tmp/kdecache-<username>

do NOT remove ~/.kde/cache-* itself, only remove the kpc directory, that's
the pixmap/icon cache, kde * should * regenerate it

thanks!

kyonidesOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Desktop Icons not refreshed after software insta  PostPosted: 24.02.2011, 04:09

Deleting the icon cache sounds promising.

Jump to: