View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
JörgOffline
Post subject: OpenOffice upgrade??  PostPosted: 22.02.2011, 12:33

Hello reader,

after the migration from OpenOffice to LibreOffice, I am slightly astonished why the Dist-Upgrade still wants to upgrade the 11 old OpenOffice.org-common, etc. Thanks for any explanation.

Greetings,
Jörg

Reply with quote Back to top
DonKultOffline
Post subject: RE: OpenOffice upgrade??  PostPosted: 22.02.2011, 13:40
Team Member

the openoffice packages are updated to work as a transition path to libreoffice. Nobody could expect that you did the transition yourself. Just let the dist-upgrade do its dirty job to be sure that everything is installed which was previously provided by openoffice and is now provided by libreoffice and after that you can remove the openoffice packages as discussed somewhere else in the forum.

broweOffline
Post subject: RE: OpenOffice upgrade??  PostPosted: 22.02.2011, 15:00

I did the transition a few days ago, but did the more drastic method of purge --remove all openoffice packages and then install libreoffice. I'm happy to report that all went smoothly.

blackholeOffline
Post subject: RE: OpenOffice upgrade??  PostPosted: 22.02.2011, 15:42

I canfirm that purging openoffice packages and install libreoffice is ok.

slaughtererOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: OpenOffice upgrade??  PostPosted: 22.02.2011, 15:59

browe wrote:
I did the transition a few days ago, but did the more drastic method of purge --remove all openoffice packages and then install libreoffice. I'm happy to report that all went smoothly.

I did the same trick everything works like a charm!

myloOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 22.02.2011, 20:43

you can check about remainings from OO by:

Code:
dpkg -l | grep openoffice*

Should you find something, refer to my message dated 15.02.2011, 09:11 in thread:

http://aptosid.de/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=573&start=15

Linux 3.1-6.slh.1-aptosid-amd64 x86_64[2010-03 Ἀπάτη (201012262151)]
Intel Core2 Duo E6550 @ Cache/Ram 4MB/4GB nVidia G72 7300 nouveau 2*250GB

belzeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 22.02.2011, 21:29

i did not manage to install any spellcheker for my language (italian) using debian .debs i had to download an extension from openoffice's web site... that said, it works well!

merlynOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: OpenOffice upgrade??  PostPosted: 23.02.2011, 08:17

browe wrote:

Ditto, the 'manual' method worked nicely.

What can I say, I still prefer to 'get my hands dirty'.

Cheers.

DeepDayzeOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: OpenOffice upgrade??  PostPosted: 23.02.2011, 15:07

what about these OOo packages? Are they necessary for libreoffice? Is it OK to safely kick these packages without breaking my LO installation?

Code:
~$ dpkg -l|grep openoffice
ii  libbase-java-openoffice.org                                   1.0.0-OOo31-2                 A general purpose base service library (OOo 3.1 branch)
ii  libflute-java-openoffice.org                                  1.3.0-OOo31-3                 Java CSS parser using SAC (OOo 3.1 branch)
ii  libfonts-java-openoffice.org                                  1.0.0-OOo31-2                 Java fonts layouting library (OOo 3.1 branch)
ii  libformula-java-openoffice.org                                0.2.0-OOo31-2                 Excel(tm) style formula expressions library (OOo 3.1 branch)
ii  liblayout-java-openoffice.org                                 0.2.9-OOo31-3                 Java layouting framework (OOo 3.1 branch)
ii  libloader-java-openoffice.org                                 1.0.0-OOo31-2                 Java general purpose resource loading framework (OOo 3.1 branch)
ii  libpentaho-reporting-flow-engine-java-openoffice.org          0.9.2-OOo31-3                 report library for java (OOo 3.1 branch)
ii  librepository-java-openoffice.org                             1.0.0-OOo31-2                 abstraction library for accessing hierachic bulk content (OOo 3.1 branch)
ii  libserializer-java-openoffice.org                             1.0.0-OOo31-2                 igeneral serializaton framework  (OOo 3.1 branch)
ii  libxml-java-openoffice.org                                    1.0.0-OOo31-2                 namespace aware SAX-Parser utility library (OOo 3.1 branch)

EDIT: Found these packages are still needed if you use the libreoffice-report-builder package, so if you don't use the report builder then these can go. At some point I'm sure these packages will be replaced with LO versions eventually

myloOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: OpenOffice upgrade??  PostPosted: 23.02.2011, 23:50

DeepDayze,

please refer to:

http://aptosid.de/index.php?name=PNphpB ... p;start=15

purge all and install as per the steps explained in link-thread above.

Linux 3.1-6.slh.1-aptosid-amd64 x86_64[2010-03 Ἀπάτη (201012262151)]
Intel Core2 Duo E6550 @ Cache/Ram 4MB/4GB nVidia G72 7300 nouveau 2*250GB

DonKultOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: OpenOffice upgrade??  PostPosted: 24.02.2011, 00:20
Team Member

Just to complete it: There is no gain in removing openoffice.org and after that installing libreoffice. A dist-upgrade will bring in the components you had before with openoffice.org - and while the openoffice.org packages remain on your system they include nothing but fresh air, so if you are later in the quarter in the 'clean and sweep' mode you can remove these and all the other transitional/obsolete packages. No need to do that now…

Oh and btw: The libreoffice-report-builder really depends on some openoffice-namespace packages. I guess its an transitional thing (you can't do anything at once). But yeah, i don't know because i don't use it and i wouldn't care too much even if i would do…

Jump to: