View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
cookdavOffline
15 Post subject: (solved) How to I get system-time to NOT be UTC?  PostPosted: 25.02.2011, 02:19

When logged in as user, under KDE4, system time is fine.

But, clock is running based on UTC, not New York timezone, which is what I've set into KDE4 GUI.

In other words, when I'm up only into run-level 3, clock is NOT what I want.

Somewhere, I read that I should tweak: /etc/default/rcS file, and change UTC=yes to 'no'. Tried that, but it doesn't fix it.

What's the right way?

[Hope this is clear.]

I have Win-XP and other Linux's, and I think THEY all leave the clock running on NY local time. But, somehow, aptosid doesn't seem to want to honor that.

LAPTOP#2: Win-7/aptosid
Video: Intel4

DESKTOP: aptosid/antiX-8.5/Win-XP

Reply with quote Back to top
bfreeOffline
Post subject: RE: How to I get system-time to NOT be UTC?  PostPosted: 25.02.2011, 04:40
Team Member

"dpkg-reconfigure tzdata" to tell your system (not just KDE) what timezone you want it to be in. You say you have already changed /etc/default/rcS so if those two alone haven't worked maybe you will need to rebuild your initramfs (honestly I'm not usre about that).

The clean answer is to make sure you set your timezone (directly or by picking a lang which defaults to the correct timezone) when you boot up the live system when you are going to install. Obviously it's too late for you to do that now.

cylverbakOffline
Post subject: RE: How to I get system-time to NOT be UTC?  PostPosted: 25.02.2011, 13:07

Good question cookdav. I've been experiencing the same problem.

Ok, I've changed rc5. Did you check (or re-set) your BIOS clock?

piperOffline
Post subject: RE: How to I get system-time to NOT be UTC?  PostPosted: 26.02.2011, 17:00

cookdav try

sux (password)
dbus-launch systemsettings > date & time > set to new york

systemsettings > general > regional & language > time & dates > change the "time format" to "pH:MM:SS AMPM" hit "apply" let system "update" then click the tab "other" and change to "imperial" (this will change things like temperature to F instead of C)

reboot

cookdavOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: How to I get system-time to NOT be UTC?  PostPosted: 05.04.2011, 16:57

piper wrote:
cookdav try

sux (password)
dbus-launch systemsettings > date & time > set to new york

systemsettings > general > regional & language > time & dates > change the "time format" to "pH:MM:SS AMPM" hit "apply" let system "update" then click the tab "other" and change to "imperial" (this will change things like temperature to F instead of C)

reboot

Yes, that DOES it, Piper. You win the prize!

Many thanks.

LAPTOP#2: Win-7/aptosid
Video: Intel4

DESKTOP: aptosid/antiX-8.5/Win-XP

Jump to: