View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
merlynOffline
Post subject: Amarok unable to play wave (.wav) files.  PostPosted: 25.02.2011, 11:29

My telephone account is via VOIP that is bundled with my ADSL 2+ internet account. Marketed as Naked DSL here "Down Under".

Anyway, any voice messages from missed calls are forwarded to my email account in, (you guessed it) .wav format.

For some reason Amarok, won't play the .wav file.

I've simply been converting the voicemail to oggs in soundkonverter then listening to them.

Cheers.

Reply with quote Back to top
hubiOffline
Post subject: RE: Amarok unable to play wave (.wav) files.  PostPosted: 25.02.2011, 12:26

Amarok is playing .wav files here, so I am not of much help apart from suggesting that you use another player.

hubi

dptOffline
Post subject: RE: Amarok unable to play wave (.wav) files.  PostPosted: 25.02.2011, 13:34

I use kafeine. No problem in 64 bit even for .WAV files. It comes in aptosid as default.

merlynOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Amarok unable to play wave (.wav) files.  PostPosted: 25.02.2011, 13:52

dpt wrote:
I use kafeine. No problem in 64 bit even for .WAV files. It comes in aptosid as default.

My bad, I forgot to mention that Kaffeine won't play the .wav files either, for some reason, hence the post.

Nor will Kaffeine play the wave files on lappy either, (also running aptosid). I haven't got Amarok installed on my lappy.

I'm not worried about playing the waves on my lappy, as I don't access my primary email account with it, just used it to run a test.

It's odd you know as I used to be able to play wave files on my old box running sidux initially and aptosid later in both kaffeine and amarok.

Even more peculiar is that I can convert the files to oggs, and play them in both amarok and kaffeine.

Thus I have a viable workaround for listening to my voicemail, but I'd rather be able to click and play, so to speak.

So obviously the original .wav files are intact.

diblOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 25.02.2011, 14:12

You need to add "contrib" and "non-free" to your debian repo sources (see the manual).

Then you need to install a multimedia player which is not permitted to be named on the forum. They can name it for you on IRC.

merlynOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 25.02.2011, 14:17

dibl wrote:
You need to add "contrib" and "non-free" to your debian repo sources (see the manual).

Then you need to install a multimedia player which is not permitted to be named on the forum. They can name it for you on IRC.

I do indeed have both "contrib" and "non-free" enabled.

It's getting late here, in fact I just noticed that it's 'tomorrow' already, bother.

I'll jump on IRC when the sun is up and about again.

Cheers to all the folks that have put in the time to respond.

hubiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 25.02.2011, 15:05

Any player should play WAV per default. So I suspect you did some experiments Wink

hubi

snvvOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 25.02.2011, 15:45

I use **removed** for wav voicemails and works as it should.
You may also log into twinkle to listen the messages directly from your mailbox.

HTH
snvv

EDIT, Just tried Amarok and it plays the wav files. aptosid 64 bit.

merlynOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 25.02.2011, 21:56

hubi wrote:
Any player should play WAV per default. So I suspect you did some experiments Wink

hubi

Aptosid install is just a little over 2 months old, as is the PC.

As for "experiments", pray tell what kind of experiment would bork wave file playback. Rolling Eyes

The only thing that I've done to date that was 'out of the ordinary' was dump OOo for LibreOffice when it was still in the experimental repo.

For the life of me I cannot see how that would impact wave playback.

Also and with all due respect neither of your posts have been constructive to date, so why contribute at all?

detaosOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 25.02.2011, 22:09
Team Member

just as a test, pop the live CD back in and see if it can play a *.wav file. if not, then you have some absolutely stunning hardware. If it can, then there certainly was some experimenting somewhere Razz

spacepenguinOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 25.02.2011, 22:34

Which phonon-backend do you use - xine, vlc or gstreamer? Try the other ones.

hubiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 25.02.2011, 22:35

The regarding package is libsndfile1. You might need to ask your provider which codec he uses. WAV is only a container.

You might read this about ADPCM codecs in Australia or the whole thread. iphone users complain as well that their VOIP voice message wav codec is not decodable.

hubi

merlynOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 25.02.2011, 23:51

detaos wrote:
just as a test, pop the live CD back in and see if it can play a *.wav file. if not, then you have some absolutely stunning hardware. If it can, then there certainly was some experimenting somewhere Razz

Thanks for that mate I'll give the live CD test a whirl, gosh why didn't I think of that? Embarassed

spacepenguin wrote:
Which phonon-backend do you use - xine, vlc or gstreamer? Try the other ones.

Hallo SP, wie geht's? Still in the Christmas spirit I see. According to System Settings / Multimedia / Backend - I've only got the Xine backend.

If the live CD test doesn't bear any fruit I'll give the others a look. Cheers.

hubi wrote:
The regarding package is libsndfile1. You might need to ask your provider which codec he uses. WAV is only a container.

You might read this about ADPCM codecs in Australia or the whole thread. iphone users complain as well that their VOIP voice message wav codec is not decodable.

hubi

An interesting point regarding the codec used, as I have been able to play my VOIP voice messages on my now retired sidux/aptosid box.

Although as I'm able to successfully convert the .wav files into oggs and then play them back, it seems to me that all the required codecs are on my system.

But for some reason no playback.

To all of you:

All excellent suggestions, thank you.

I've got to duck out for a couple of hours, so I'll follow them up when I get back in and let you know how things turn out.

Cheers.

merlynOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 26.02.2011, 09:32

@ hubi Absolutely spot on mate.

I read the whirlpool thread that you mentioned. Can you imagine my surprise when the thread topic was, (is) VOIP provided by iinet. Don't suppose you could guess who my ISP is?

Anyway here's the output of aplay

Code:
david@sidvicious:~/Downloads$ aplay voicemail.wav
aplay: test_wavefile:870: can't play WAVE-file format 0x0011 which is not PCM or FLOAT encoded

Which nicely nails down the source of the problem.

If I'm ever in Wien the Steins of Bock, are on me.

Dankeschön

@ spacepenguin also spot on. Since installing aptosid on this system, there are a number of things I haven't installed that I had on my old box.

One of the phonon backends you mentioned did the trick. Amarok / Kaffeine et al will now play my voicemail.

And so it's a stein or two for you as well, unless you'd rather wine, if I ever get up your way.

Herzlichen Dank

spacepenguinOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 26.02.2011, 15:59

Glad it's solved. My guess vlc did the trick?

merlyn wrote:
Still in the Christmas spirit I see.

Look a little closer Wink

Jump to: