View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
diblOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 19.09.2010, 13:29

I see no graphics-related issues on my platform with Nvidia driver 260.19.04, but I noticed the power management settings do not recognize my CPU correctly (-11, -12, and -15 kernels). System-settings > power management > capabilities shows Number of CPUs = 0, and no mention of frequency scaling. But the other items (DPMS support, ConsoleKit, and Status) have green checkmarks.

On boot, my CPU comes up at half speed. In the terminal I issue
      Code:
service cpufreqd start
and I get full speed, but no scaling.

Is there a better way to invoke frequency scaling?

Code:
dibl@sidbox:~$ infobash -v3
Host/Kernel/OS  "sidbox" running Linux 2.6.35-4.slh.15-aptosid-amd64 x86_64 [ sidux 2009-03 Μώμος - kde-lite - (200911110039) ]
CPU Info        (1) Intel Core2 X6800 @ 4096 KB cache flags( sse3 ht nx lm vmx ) clocked at [ 2926.000 MHz ]
                (2) Intel Core2 X6800 @ 4096 KB cache flags( sse3 ht nx lm vmx ) clocked at [ 2926.000 MHz ]
Videocard       nVidia GT200 [GeForce GTX 260]  X.Org 1.7.7  [ 1600x1200@50.0hz ]
Network cards   Intel 82573L Gigabit
Processes 159 | Uptime 21min | Memory 591.8/3964.8MB | HDD WDC WD1002FBYS-0,WDC WD7500AAKS-0,WDC WD1500AHFD-0 Size 1900GB (47%used) | GLX Renderer GeForce GTX 260/PCI/SSE2 | GLX Version 3.3.0 NVIDIA 260.19.04 | Client Shell | Infobash v3.34

Reply with quote Back to top
LanziOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 19.09.2010, 14:45

@BlueJayofEvilOffline

Is this a typo:

Quote:
Package: *
Pin: release o=qt-kde,a=experimental-snapshots
Pin-Priority: 101

With "Pin-Priority: 101" nothing happes. It should maybe be 1001?

kap4linOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 19.09.2010, 15:07

@ ghstryder, DeepDayze: Good to know. Do you use the sid 195.36.xx or the experimental 256.xx drivers? Do you or anyone have a dual monitor setup?

DeepDayzeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 19.09.2010, 15:12

I been using the 260.xx beta drivers as installed by a 3rd party script we know well. Don't have a dual monitor setup atm.

LanziOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 19.09.2010, 16:22

@Devil
      Quote:

digicam is, no idea on gwenview.

No it is not. I made a testinstall, and it is still in Version 1.2.
The Problem is, taht it does not play mov files (imediate crash of Digicam) of my Canon DSLR. The rest of the Digicamfilms is divided in two parts, the upper normal, the donside green.

So, is there any chance to get digicam 1.4?

ghstryderOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 19.09.2010, 17:04

kap4lin wrote:
@ ghstryder, DeepDayze: Good to know. Do you use the sid 195.36.xx or the experimental 256.xx drivers? Do you or anyone have a dual monitor setup?

I'm using the 195.36.xx drivers installed using the directions supplied in the aptomanual. I don't use dual monitors, but I did test it with a large CRT monitor attached and it worked just fine.

merlynOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 19.09.2010, 20:12

devil wrote:
i would be happy with all monochrome icons and look forward for the other sections to follow.
i heard you can get the colourful ones back though, but didnt bother myself.

greetz
devil

I wouldn't mind if all the icons were monochrome either, my main bugbear with this is consistency.

However as the tooltip icons do not follow the changes made with the introduction of monochrome icons, the implementation seems rushed and incomplete.

Also given what has been posted on the KDE forums though I don't think this is going to happen. The push behind the monochrome icons is to differentiate between 'system space' or plasma & 'user space' or applications.

Perhaps that same reasoning is behind the new 'System settings' layout.

Frankly, I found the previous layout more streamlined, and the grouping logical.

Not in keeping with the usual standard of polish and 'elegance' that I've become accustomed to with KDE.

Restoring the colourful icons, requires a little bit of mucking around, and would need to be done each time the associated packages are updated. Thus a pain in the posterior.

Getting back to the monochrome icons thought.

1. Portions of the new notification icon tends to blend in with both light and dark backgrounds, making it less visible.

2. The use of 'scissors' to represent the clipboard (klipper), seems a poor choice as scissors are associated with the "cut" function in word processing applications and many (gui based) text editors. The clipboard's functionality is not 'limited' to just 'cutting'

3. The new device icon resembles the "USB" symbol, thus suggesting that USB devices are only detected, what of Firewire, Optical drives, Card Readers etc.

Each of these points raise usability issues imo.

Overall I don't believe that the new iconset has been well thought out, and it's introduction premature.

LanziOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 19.09.2010, 21:45

You know what really bugs me on KDE 4.5?

In Krusader, copying a lot of files for backup-reasons, you could until now decide between "overwirte file" and "overwrite all". Now there is a checkbox "apply to all" and then you click overwrite. Its (another) click more (like for such a lot of applications in KDE4), but also you have to find a really small field, instead of a switch before.
This is really annoying clicking twice!

spacepenguinOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 26.09.2010, 16:19

Lanzi, that is not only krusader, same in dolphin. I agree, a button is better than a switch. How about a bugs.kde.org wishlist entry?

BTW: My KDE SC 4.5.1 was relatively slow and unstable, especially dolphin that crashed a lot times a day. I have now dared to install the dbus and libdbus-1-3 packages from experimental (own risk) and dolphin is more responsive and a lot more stable. Improves KDE 4.5.1 feeling a lot. http://randomguy3.wordpress.com/2010/06 ... ng-issues/

Nvidia: I keep on using the 195.36.xx drivers as long as possible because kuickshow doesn't work anymore with the 26x driver (displays only garbage).

DeepDayzeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 26.09.2010, 18:40

spacepenguin wrote:
Lanzi, that is not only krusader, same in dolphin. I agree, a button is better than a switch. How about a bugs.kde.org wishlist entry?

BTW: My KDE SC 4.5.1 was relatively slow and unstable, especially dolphin that crashed a lot times a day. I have now dared to install the dbus and libdbus-1-3 packages from experimental (own risk) and dolphin is more responsive and a lot more stable. Improves KDE 4.5.1 feeling a lot. http://randomguy3.wordpress.com/2010/06 ... ng-issues/

Nvidia: I keep on using the 195.36.xx drivers as long as possible because kuickshow doesn't work anymore with the 26x driver (displays only garbage).

As I been also troubled by the dolphin issues in KDE SC 4.5.1 I shall try installing those dbus/libdbus packages myself. Thanks for the tip!

EDIT: I installed the experimental dbus packages on both KDE 4.4.5 and KDE 4.5.1 and dolphin seemed a lot smoother and more stable. Will try copying/moving files around in dolphin to see what happens..hopefully no lockups/crashes

UPDATE!

No crash or lockups in Dolphin with these experimental dbus packages. Getting them is highly recommended if you want to install KDE SC 4.5.x but these packages DO work for KDE 4.4.5 as I also tested them with this KDE version too.

Last edited by DeepDayze on 10.10.2010, 03:02; edited 1 time in total

polycarpOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 27.09.2010, 12:53

I have dual monitors. No problems with 4.5.1 repo so far with clone/absolute positioning; I haven't tried side/top alignment.

iotakaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 06.10.2010, 15:27

spacepenguin wrote:

After a

Code:
aptitude -t experimental install libdbus-1-3

also for me kde 4.5.1 become stable. I suggest to add this step in the first post.

LanziOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 06.10.2010, 17:50

@Spacepenguin - I did this last week. Lets see what happens.

Mte90Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 08.10.2010, 20:12

but kde 4.5.2?

BelaLugosiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 08.10.2010, 20:57

Mte90 wrote:
but kde 4.5.2?

pardon, what are you trying to ask?

Jump to: