View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
roliOffline
Post subject: Network config  PostPosted: 08.03.2011, 20:23

Hi *,

today i've got a problem using my Aptosid notebook via wlan, thus i'm using a windows nb.
I'm sitting in a hotel with a open hotspot. No encrytipn, just a browserredirect to the accesspoit where i have to enter the username und password i got when i checked in to the hotel.
With Windows no problem, the wlan is discoverd, the notebook gets an ip address and i'm redirected to the webpage.
With Aptosid i dont even get an ip address. The network is discovered by ceni (signal strength = 53), next i select no encryption and managed mode, on screen 3 dhcp is checked an allow hotplug. That's it. But i dont get a ip adress via dhcp, what could be wrong?
Maybe it's the same thing than a few days ago, when i tried to join an wlan from a friend of mine. He has a Vodafone DSL-Router with WLan. Here i also failed with Linux. When i checked it with Windows, i noticed a Popup like "please enter the 8 digit code from the backside of the router for quick access". We solved the problem by disabling this "feature" in the Router.
How can i handle such problems?

Thanx

Reply with quote Back to top
devilOffline
Post subject: RE: Network config  PostPosted: 08.03.2011, 22:52

for a start by telling us, what wlan chip you use with whst driver.
lspci -nn | grep -i net will tell you the chipset.

greetz
devil

roliOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Network config  PostPosted: 09.03.2011, 12:29

devil wrote:
for a start by telling us, what wlan chip you use with whst driver.

Ok, i'll do it when i'm back on this machine.
By the way, on other WLan's i have no problem with this machine so i think it's no hardware problem.

roliOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Network config  PostPosted: 09.03.2011, 19:33

devil wrote:
lspci -nn | grep -i net will tell you the chipset.

Code:
root@abc:~# lspci -nn | grep -i net
01:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5001 Wireless Network Adapter [168c:001c] (rev 01)
04:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller [10ec:8136] (rev 02)

Jump to: