View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
mirixOffline
Post subject: RE: nividia-kernel-source does not build with 38-kernel  PostPosted: 15.03.2011, 14:11

I guess that sticking to 2.6.37 is the easiest way to go. Maybe the next release of the Nvidia drivers will work.

Concerning modules, I do not know if the only issue is BKL and, if it is, I don't know how to fix it...

Reply with quote Back to top
towoOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: nividia-kernel-source does not build with 38-kernel  PostPosted: 15.03.2011, 14:11

muchan wrote:
      mirix wrote:
Yep. My problem is that I really need a recent driver in order to profit from CUDA. Therefore my only option is installing the proprietary driver downloaded from the NVIDIA website. If the Aptosid kernel is not going to work, I will try to install the vanilla kernel (again).

I'm not using nvidia driver now.
But if it does not actually use BKL, but just the module does not build without some kernel option,
then isn't it easier to fix the source of module than building a private kernel for that?

(assuming that the source for module, to be locally compiled is open source and downloadable...
and the closed source driver itself does not deends on the kernel option..)

The module does not build because a patch in the aptosid kernel. The module builds fine against a plain vanilla kernel.

mirixOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: nividia-kernel-source does not build with 38-ker  PostPosted: 15.03.2011, 14:14

Can we just revert the patch? If so, how?

towoOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: nividia-kernel-source does not build with 38-ker  PostPosted: 15.03.2011, 14:16

If you rebuild the aptosid-kernel, sure you can revert this patch.
You even can install the kernel from frickelplatz, there i have reverted this patch and also set
CONFIG_TIMER_STATS=y for powertop.

DeepDayzeOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: nividia-kernel-source does not build with 38-ker  PostPosted: 15.03.2011, 14:19

Perhaps a future release of the nvidia blob will have support for this kernel. This should be reported on nvnews.net so that the nvidia people can put out a fix so that the driver will not need to depend on the now-removed BKL headers being present

towoOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: nividia-kernel-source does not build with 38-ker  PostPosted: 15.03.2011, 14:21

aptosid is the only kernel, who has this patch in. Why should nvidia fix an issue, which is only existent in a little, unknown linux distro?
Btw, do you know another distro, who have a bkl-free kernel?
This named patch is not released upstrem anywhere at the moment.

DeepDayzeOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: nividia-kernel-source does not build with 38  PostPosted: 15.03.2011, 14:33

towo wrote:
aptosid is the only kernel, who has this patch in. Why should nvidia fix an issue, which is only existent in a little, unknown linux distro?
Btw, do you know another distro, who have a bkl-free kernel?
This named patch is not released upstrem anywhere at the moment.

Alright, thanks for the clarification...as far as I am aware there are no other kernels in other distros or in Debian itself with this patch yet

mirixOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: nividia-kernel-source does not build wit  PostPosted: 15.03.2011, 14:45

Indeed, installing the kernel image and headers from here:

http://frickelplatz.de/debian/dists/uns ... 64/kernel/

allows the Nvidia module to compile. Thanks towo.

However, they have been compiled with gcc-4.4, which, I guess, it is not a big issue. It also feels slower than the Aptosid kernel (noticeable longer time to boot).

slamOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: nividia-kernel-source does not build wit  PostPosted: 15.03.2011, 15:20
Team Member

Just to clarify: Aptosid kernels are always top edge, and usually contain patches you will see after months (sometimes years) in mainstream distro kernels. No patch we apply is useless or untested - and most patches improve hardware support, stability, security and performance.

This is true also for the final complete removal of BKL. Nvidia will definitely have to deal with it for it's proprietary closed source driver. They are already aware of the problem, but have not done anything yet, as they consider top edge kernels not their priority.

So, in order to avoid such problems in the future, remove nvidia and use nouveau. Just in case you cannot live without hardware 3d acceleration, stick with our latest kernel working for you, until Nvidia has fixed it's drivers.

Using 3rd party kernels from 3rd party repos is making you depending on support from the owners of this repository, and not supportable or recommended by the Aptosid team.

Greetings,
Chris

Last edited by slam on 15.03.2011, 16:31; edited 1 time in total

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
blackholeOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: nividia-kernel-source does not build wit  PostPosted: 15.03.2011, 15:43

Thanks towo...

towoOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: nividia-kernel-source does not build wit  PostPosted: 15.03.2011, 15:45

The caused patch brings no improvement os stability to the kernel. It only makes the headers a few kbyte smaller, nothing more.

mirixOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: nividia-kernel-source does not build wit  PostPosted: 15.03.2011, 16:23

If Aptosid does not provide a suitable kernel for my needs (I need 3D acceleration and CUDA for working), I have three options:

1. I stick to an older kernel and prevent the kernel from upgrading.
2. I build the kernel myself.
3. I obtain a precompiled kernel from third-party repositories.

As a matter of fact, I have chosen option 3 just to make sure that it was worth compiling because the vanilla kernel was likely to work. Next I tried to build the vanilla kernel, but it failed. Apparently, there is a known bug in certain version of binutils. Next time binutils is upgraded, I will try recompiling. For the time being I will most likely downgrade.

agaidaOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: nividia-kernel-source does not build  PostPosted: 15.03.2011, 16:43

slam wrote:
Just to clarify: Aptosid kernels are always top edge...

Using 3rd party kernels from 3rd party repos is making you depending on support from the owners of this repository, and not supportable or recommended by the Aptosid team.

Greetings,
Chris

This one is true, aptosid kernels are top edge and btw. the best what i have seen so far. I disagree with the second - an aptosid kernel without 0019... will be an aptosid kernel. Its only one patch that differs. And anyone with a little bit knowledge can build it by himself without stuck on thirdparty repos.

My 2 cent.

muchan
Post subject: Re: RE: nividia-kernel-source does not build with 38-kernel  PostPosted: 15.03.2011, 17:40

towo wrote:
      muchan wrote:

I'm not using nvidia driver now.
But if it does not actually use BKL, but just the module does not build without some kernel option,
then isn't it easier to fix the source of module than building a private kernel for that?

(assuming that the source for module, to be locally compiled is open source and downloadable...
and the closed source driver itself does not deends on the kernel option..)

The module does not build because a patch in the aptosid kernel. The module builds fine against a plain vanilla kernel.

but you wrote, previously in this thread:
      Quote:

The patch is 0019-BKL-That-s-all-folks.patch which is purging all bkl-related headers, which are useless now, since the kernel is build without bkl. The problem now is, nvidia noes not need bkl itself, but the module are including some headers, which are not exist after applying this patch.

So, module's source is demanding the headers that has nothing to do with the code itself, isn't it?
I think I understood your argument. there are two solutions,
1) kernel's patch reverted, or
2) unneeded check on nvidia module building removed.
and if the module is build locally on the user's PC with the open-source part of code,
I thought user can change it... with maybe less effort than building his own kernel...
(but I did not see the source myself...)

mirixOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: nividia-kernel-source does not build with 38-ker  PostPosted: 15.03.2011, 20:18

Can anyone explain how to revert the patch (if possible, step by step, please)?

Jump to: